Cosmetic Dentistry is also known as aesthetic dentistry and is all about improving a patient's smile and self-image. It also helps fix problems such as teeth discoloration, missing or misaligned teeth, preventing bone loss, and improving chewing function. Cosmetic dentistry primarily focuses on dental aesthetics such as color, position, shape, alignment, and smile's overall appearance. It is a routine that is carried out beyond the regular maintenance of the teeth to enhance the outer appearance of the patient.
Cosmetic Dentistry is a new and advanced technology that helps restore a smile that has dulled over the years. It uses cutting-edge technology to help shape and contour the teeth while also enhancing the smile. They also improve oral health and, in trauma cases, restore the teeth to their original form. An improved appearance will have beneficial effects on the physical and mental health of an individual.
What are the different types of Cosmetic Procedures?
There are different types of cosmetic procedures based on the individual's needs.
Call us at Potomac Dental Group or schedule an online appointment to know more about Cosmetic Dentistry.
- Teeth Whitening:They are one of the most common cosmetic procedures available for improving your smile. It is a simple, inexpensive, and non-invasive procedure available in cosmetic dentistry. Teeth whitening is recommended when teeth become stained and worn due to eating some foods, drinks, medications, and tobacco use. The procedure can be performed by your dentist by applying the bleach to lighten the teeth to match the shade of the original teeth. This is done after making sure that no plaque, tartar, or other remnants are present in the teeth. Teeth whitening will not only restore the aesthetic of your smile but also give a big boost to your self-confidence.
- Braces and Clear Aligners:These are cosmetic procedures that improve the appearance of the smile. Sometimes braces or clear aligners may be necessary because of medical reasons. These devices work by putting pressure on the teeth, thereby moving them to their correct positions over some period of time. While children and teens get the traditional metal braces as it is very economical, the adults opt for braces or aligners such as the Invisalign because they are less visible.
- Gum Contouring:It is a cosmetic procedure that changes the shape of the gums. Gum contouring is used to restore exposed teeth caused by the disappearing gum tissue. The procedure involves the dentist cutting away the excessive gum tissue that gives a gummy smile.
- Veneers:They are thin shells that are used to cover the front of teeth. It is mainly used to reshape and repair teeth from chips, discolorations, and fractures. The veneers are made of ceramic, composite, or porcelain and are matched with the surrounding teeth. These materials will not stain easily or change color, thus ensuring a dazzling smile for years to come. This dentist first applies a chemical on the outer layer of the teeth to roughen the surface, which allows for the use of a superior bond when the shell is fixed onto the teeth. The veneer will be further shaped and polished to give a comfortable fit and beautiful shine. A local anesthetic may be used to mold the veneers to the teeth.
- Dental Implants:They help replace missing teeth that are lost due to an accident, extraction, or other reasons. The dentist places a small titanium screw into the jaw in place of the missing tooth. The screw, after fusing with the bone, serves as the root for the crown. Once the crown is placed on the screw, the implants fit in perfectly with the surrounding natural teeth. The implants are permanently secured into place once the jaw bones and supporting tissues fuse into the implants. During the entire procedure, dental hygiene should be ensured.