What are Dental Implants?
Dental Implants are natural-looking tooth replacements that make up for the loss of missing teeth. The implants consist of a ceramic crown and a titanium root that are surgically placed into the jawbone beneath your gums. Dental implants provide a solid foundation for permanent or removable replacement teeth made to resemble your natural teeth and allow dentists to fix the replacement teeth onto them.
What are the benefits of Dental Implants?
- Dental Implants will improve the ability of a person to bite and chew their food just like natural teeth.
- It gives an alternative for the permanent replacement of missing teeth.
- It also gives a comfortable and natural-looking tooth that blends in with the surrounding teeth.
- The aesthetics of your smile will be enhanced.
- They are strong and sturdy similar to original teeth and can last for 10-15 years with proper care and maintenance.
- Dental implants are just like natural teeth and do not require dietary restrictions.
- No additional care is required for the implants other than the normal brushing and flossing on a daily basis.
- The implants will last for a long duration, and the ceramic crown may wear as long as natural enamel normally does.
How are the dental implants fixed?
As a first step for undergoing a dental implant, you have to consult a dentist. The procedure involves several consultations over a period of time. The general health of a patient has to be considered comprising of factors such as jawbone size, diabetes, and blood pressure before the actual process of the implant can be carried out. A scan and x-rays of the patient's mouth will be taken as a reference for preparing the crown and help prepare the patient for the implant surgery.
The actual procedure involves first numbing the teeth by using local anesthesia. A small hole is drilled into the jawbone in place of the missing tooth, and the implant is inserted in it. The implant is fortified with dental cement. A certain time is allowed for the healing process so that the jawbone will grow around the implant's grooves and the gums start covering the stud partially.
In the final step, the dentist will place the crown on the implant and check it for a perfect fit. It is permanently bonded using dental adhesives. A bite test is conducted, and the implant crown is polished.
What is the cost of Dental Implants?
The cost of the dental implants will be determined by various factors such as the number of teeth to be replaced, the technique, and the type of material used for the crown. In the long run, the implants' cost will outweigh the benefits it offers for the patients.
What are the various types of Dental Implants?
- Immediate Load Dental Implants: Implants that offer temporary tooth replacement during the first consultation with your dentist. This can be done if you have enough natural bone to secure the implant for immediate placement.
- Mini-dental Implants: This type of implant is economical and easy to afford. It is based on a less invasive technique and is used primarily to stabilize a lower denture. It is useful for patients with bone loss.
- Fixed Bridges: This type is perfect for patients with multiple missing teeth. It involves using both healthy teeth and artificial anchors as abutments. It is also economical in major replacements.
Call us at Potomac Dental Group or schedule an online appointment to know more about Dental Implants.